Thursday residential curbside pick-up
Waste management has a contract for residential trash collection with the Town of Crested Butte. Waste Management will collect items for recycling in two different co-mingled bins on Thursdays morning during regular residential trash pick-up. Below are items that you should place in each bin, as well as unacceptable items.
Bin # 1
– Glass: Bottles & Jars of any color: Remove lids and toss those in too!
– Aluminum, Tin or Steel Cans: Pet food cans, coffee containers, canned veggies, etc.
These are accepted crushed or not. *No foils or food trays.
– Plastics: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7
– Acceptable Plastics: Any RIGID container stamped #1-7 (except those listed under
Unacceptable Plastics below)
Wide-mouth containers (e.g. butter and cottage cheese tubs)
Clear clamshells (like deli/bakery sandwich or cookie containers)
Personal care/prescription bottles
Flower and garden pots
– Paper Goods
– Magazines & phone books
– Mixed office paper: Mixed office paper includes inserts, ledger paper, computer paper,
copy and fax paper, index cards, white and pastel colors, receipts, manila file folders,
envelopes (windows ok!) and junk mail.
– Corrugated cardboard (3’w x 3’w x 3”h, 1 bundle per week).
– NO – Craft paper, paper towels, cafeteria waste, fluorescent papers or non-corrugated
Frozen entree microwave trays
Food trays or party platters even if stamped with #1-7 (the main issue here is food
contamination, if these items are rigid and 100% clean then they should be okay)
Shrink wrap or Saran wrap
Automotive chemical containers, including motor oil and antifreeze bottles
Compostable bottles or cups marked “compostable”
Drop-off Facility: Riverland Waste Management Transfer Station
Located at 467 Riverland Drive in Riverland, 970-349- 1033. Waste Management offers recycle drop-off between 9:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. If you do not have a waste management account, there is a small cost (by the bin) for recycling. You can pay with check. If you do have an account, there is no recycling charge. On site there are three big bins for garbage, cardboard and paper, and everything else. All the same recyclables are allowed as in the Thursday curbside pick-up bins.
City of Gunnison Public Works Department
The City of Gunnison provides regular refuse and recycling collection services once a week. All city
residents pay for this service in their monthly utility bill.
Allowable recycling includes:
– Corrugated cardboard: Flatten out boxes. No wax coated cardboard (i.e. half gallon juice milk
cartons) and no tubes. Please make sure to remove everything that is not cardboard from inside
– Aluminum cans: Please only put aluminum cans in bins. Pie pans, aluminum foil etc. are NOT
– Tin cans: No lids or steel cans.
– #1 & 2 Plastics: Other numbered plastics are not accepted. No plastic bags, yogurt containers, or
– Clear, brown, and green glass bottles and jars: Glass coke bottles are not clear glass. No tinted
or colored glass in with clear. Remove all caps/corks. No household cups or dishes.
– Newspaper/White paper: Place newspaper and white paper in separate bin. No books.
Drop-off facility: Gunnison County Recycle Center
Located at 195 Basin Park Dr., Gunnison (west of the airport), the Gunnison County Recycle Center
offers no cost for drop off.
You may drop off the following items 24 hours day, 7 days a week, at the
– Aluminum Cans
– Corrugated Cardboard: No waxed cardboard is allowed.
– Brown, green, and clear glass: Remove lids and plastic or metal rings.
– Magazines and catalogues: Includes magazines and catalogues with glued and stapled backs; no
– Newspaper: Including all supplements from the paper.
– Office Paper: Must be delivered to the Recycling Center between Monday through Friday, 8 a.m.
to 4 p.m., while an attendant is on duty; Paper may be brought in bags, boxes, or containers that
you empty and reuse. May include all office papers except:
o Neon bright papers
o Manila envelopes
o Paper with excessive amounts of red ink
o Copied items that are mostly black
– Number 1 and 2 plastics: Rinsed and smashed.
– Tin and steel cans: Remove paper labels and rinse cans.
City of Gunnison Tree Dump
The City of Gunnison Tree Dump is open Tuesday through Saturday, 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. Please call 970-641- 8020 for additional information. There is a cost for dumping including, $8.00 per pickup or small trailer load, $16.00 for trailers over 8′. A punch card good for 10 dumps can be purchased for $65. Asphalt and concrete (may not contain rebar or wire mesh) is $12 per cubic yard.
The Tree Dump is closed for the season and will open mid-April for the 2018 season.
The Tree Dump accepts the following materials:
– Tree limbs
– Wood (no plywood materials are accepted)
– Barnyard waste
Computers – Gunnison
City of Gunnison Public Works Shop
Drop off on first Mondays of the month (except holidays) between 1:30 and 4:00 PM. No drop off
recycling at any other time. For large loads, call ahead to schedule a drop-off time.
The following items are accepted for recycling:
– Small printers, fax machines, laptop computers, VCR or DVD players, phones, toasters and other
– Computer towers, stereo components, microwaves, and larger printers.
– Flat screen computer monitors and televisions.
– CRT computer monitors and televisions.
Electronics recycling cost is $.75/lb.
Not accepted: No items that contain oil or other lubricants or fluids. No smoke detectors, carbon
monoxide detectors, or medical equipment. No items that contain mercury or other hazardous materials.
Refrigerators not accepted.
Cell Phones – Gunnison
– Ace Hardware/Radio Shack
– True Value
– Six Points
– Project Hope (509 W Virginia Ave, #2) – smart phones only
Batteries – Gunnison
– Gunnison Post Office
– Radio Shack
– True Value
– Napa Autoparts (car batteries and clean motor oil)
Compact Fluorescent Lightbulbs (CFLs) – Gunnison
– Ace Hardware
– Waste Management Riverland Transfer Station (Crested Butte)
– Annual drop-off locations in the spring at the Gunnison County Recycling Center, Gunnison
Savings & Loan, and at the CB 4-way stop (Gunnison and Crested Butte)
Household Items – Gunnison
– Anything reusable can be posted in the Gunnison Country Shopper or on Gunnison Freecycle.
– Old paint – True Value and Sherwin Williams will take paint that is still liquid.
Gunnison County Recycle Community on Facebook
Got a recycle question? Post it on this Facebook page with or without photos. Someone will reply to you!