Our organization was founded to advocate for a plastic bag ban in Crested Butte, a goal we successfully achieved with the passage of a Town Ordinance banning plastic bags in 2016. One of the most difficult problems we had to solve in Crested Butte was how to get reusable bags into the hands of our visitors. They’re some of the best customers our local businesses have! Even Crested Buttians have a hard time remembering their reusable bags sometimes. Asking our visitors to always be prepared with a reusable bag was a lot so we set out to find an alternative.
When we looked into different options, we realized the Boomerang Bags program was perfect for Crested Butte. Starting in Australia, the Boomerang Bag movement has spread to over 1,100 communities worldwide and has diverted millions of plastic bags from landfills. While eliminating single-use plastic trash and recycling used fabrics are important goals of the program, bringing the community together to have conversations about how we can live more sustainable lives is just as important. We all know that a series of small choices can make a huge difference when it comes to sustainability. We’ve all learned from sharing resources and ideas at our sewing circles.
Here’s How Boomerang Bags Works in Crested Butte:
- Boomerang Bags are crafted locally from hemp bags, donated fabric, donated materials, and made by local volunteers.
- Boomerang Bags can be found at any of the participating locations listed below in the Towns of Crested Butte and Mt. Crested Butte.
- When you use a Boomerang Bag, you can return the bag to any one of the participating locations to “boomerang” it back into circulation.
- If you find one you especially love, you can hold onto it. We ask you to make a donation of $20 or more to help us continue this program. We can take donations via check or online. Check out our donate page for more details.
Boomerang Bag Program Participating Stores:
- Crested Butte Sports
- The Alpineer
- The Mountain Store
- Crested Butte Mountain Heritage Museum Store
- Flatiron Sports
- Dragonfly Anglers
- The Library
- Casa Bella
- Scout’s General Store
- Chopwood Mercantile
- Mountain Tails
Other Boomerang Bag Rack Locations:
- Crested Butte/Mt. Crested Butte Chamber of Commerce Visitor Centers at the 4-Way and Mt. Crested Butte Transit Center
- The Plaza in Mt. Crested Butte
- The Grand Lodge
- The Lodge at Mountaineer Square
- Elevation Hotel and Spa
- Nordic Inn
Crested Butte Boomerang Bag Locations:
Mt. Crested Butte Boomerang Bag Locations:
If you’re visiting the Gunnison Valley and borrow a Boomerang bag, you can just leave it in your hotel room and staff will put them back into the Boomerang Bag rotation. If you happen to take it home, please use it, tell your friends about it, and make a donation to Sustainable CB. For information on how to start a Boomerang Bag program in your own community, check out their website.
Help Us Make Boomerang Bags
The Boomerang Bags program exists because of the efforts of volunteers just like you. We have temporarily paused our sewing circles for now due to COVID-19. When we get back to it, we’ll be sure to announce it on our social media channels. Follow along to keep up to date.